Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Time to LIGHT it up!

Ok, so I've had the bike about a month now and I love it. It is clear to me that I'm going to go with the 29er full time. It's probably time that I sell the 26 inch ride even though I put some time customizing that bike. So, with the prospect of money coming in from that sale and with the fact that I'm going to commit to the 29er, I am planning a few upgrades for the bike:

1. Rock Shox Reba Race fork with poploc - This is an incredible fork. I have one for my other bike and I loved it. The remote poploc is a great feature as well and used a lot during climbing. It has a dual air spring chamber and all the adjustments you can ask for. I bought it in white yesterday. The best part, it only weights 3 .14 lbs.

2. I got a new stem. The adjustable stem that I was using is like a boat anchor. Also, it was less than reliable, allowing my handlebars to move while riding and loosening around the adjustment bolt. Very dangerous! I bought a profile stem set at 20 degrees. Much lighter too!

3. A new titanium handlebar is coming my way. Super light and super strong. This will be a huge improvement over the generic black heavy bar that I have there now. With the new stem and fork, my front end just got significantly lighter.

4. A new XT cassette. The Shimano HG something or other that I have back there works fine but I'd like to drop a little more weight off of the bike. That was one of the heaviest things on the bike that I could find.

I'll be putting the new parts on over the next week or two. I'll be sure to post pics. I'm looking to lighten this bike significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment