Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Motobecane's First Blemish...headset failure



So up until now I have had no problems with my bike (mind you it has only been two months, but still). However, upon entering my renovation project, I noticed a gap in my headset. Upon further inspection it looked as if a part, maybe a seal, wasn't sitting right in the assembly causing a gap and a slight wiggle in the headset. I disassembled the top cap and upper parts and noticed what appeares to be a cracked plastic seal. I tried reassembly but it is obvious that this part creates and gap and does not really fit well with the rest of the assembly. After removing the piece entirely, the rest of the assembly fits very well and the headset/fork are nice and tight and the fork is free flowing. It almost causes me to wonder if the part is supposed to be there in the first place.




I first contacted Cane Creek about the issue, as it is a Cane Creek headset. At first the representative couldn't even identify the part or help me with its assembly or warranty. He then disclosed that Cane Creek doesn't even make this Cane Creek headset for this bike and that I have to contact Motobecane regarding the part, which I did.




I have a message into Moto presently and still have not received a response. I was surprised though by the fact that the CC rep told me that they didn't make the CC headset. I guess Buyer Beware on that point when buying a Moto bike from Bikes Direct.

2 comments:

  1. I should add, in all fairness, that the headset failure is probably more on me than it is on Moto in this case. However, what was later discovered is that the headset is indeed crappy, subject to breaking, and is not actually made by Cane Creek, even though that is how it is advertised by Moto. The lack of sealed bearings gives it away, but this was also admitted by the Cane Creek sales rep with whom I spoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Im having the same problem. I'm trying to find a diagram that show the correct order for the bearings and seals to see if maybe it was sent wrong. I'm going to try to remove the top seal with the crack in it and see if it helps. thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete