Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Maiden Voyage

I got in a very nice ride today. I wanted to give the new toy a little test. We went up to Gambrill State Park, MD, a place full of rock gardens, super technical terrain, and advanced obstacles. Basically, I have no business riding the trails there.

In any event, I was taken back by how smooth the ride of the 29er is. It simply kept rumbling over loose rock, roots, and any other obstacles in its path. It seemed to soak up the terrain for me. I was surprised by the quality of the Rock Shox 318 Solo Air fork as well. After riding a Reba Race on my other bike, I thought I would find this shock to be inferior by far. It performed very well. I am impressed also that this fork came with a pop loc remote, a feature that I thought only came with $500 and above forks. I definitely used it on the climbs too.

I found the climbing ability of the frame to be every bit as good if not better than my Gary Fisher Tassajara. In fact, I found my front wheel never lifting involuntarily off the ground on steep climbs as my GF does, which was a great relief as I moved very precariously through a sea of sharp, loose rock.
Actually, my only reservation of the bike is that I found it very difficult to unload the front end when I wanted. I'm not sure if this is a 29er thing or if it is particular to the bike. It is likely caused by the much longer rear stays in the back and the lower bb drop. It could also have to do with added weight in front from the larger wheel. In any event, it is counterbalanced by the fact that you don't have to unload very often, you just simply roll over most obstacles with the giant wheels. Still, though, there are times when trying to clear tall obstacles that you would want that ability. Perhaps it will just take some getting used to.

I found the shifting on the bike to be crisp and I love the 1x9 ride. I encountered no chain slip whatsoever and my chain didn't drop once due to a nice, straight chain line and the N Gear Jumpstop. The 1x9 was simplistic but effective. At no time did I wish for more gears and I was riding a very steep trail both ways, up and down. The avid BB7's did very well and offered quick, responsive braking. Everything seemed pretty well dialed in. I may move my saddle back a hair, but that's about it. I love the bike and I'm very happy with my purchase.

I had my doubts about a Motobecane bike (I think they should re-brand as Moto by the way, just sounds way cooler and offers more street cred in my opinion) but so far so good. The only issue I've had through this whole process is the hole in the packaging upon arrival that didn't end up really create any issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment