Saturday, June 8, 2013

Out with the old, In with the new

So I broke down my 29er last night to get it ready for sale.  Final weight...26.66lbs.  For a 1x9, that seems kind of heavy and it was unexpected.  The fork and frame were heavier than expected, as was the crankset.  My goodness!

So the parts purchases have begun for the new rig.  First, a scandium handlebar over the Hussefelt giant that I had.  That bar was a tank, but it also was heavy like a tank.  The new bar is around 125 g and feels like air.  Second, a scandium seat post.  I do have a relatively light carbon seat post now, but this scandium is more than 100g lighter and not as delicate as carbon.  Of course the 29er frame and fork that I bought is super light...the frame is 2lbs lighter and the fork is 1lb lighter.  I'm also looking to buying an SLX crankset which probably won't be much lighter, but it certainly can't be heavier.  I also picked up a pair of 29 x 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires (610g each) over the very heavy 29 x 2.55 WTB Weirwolves that I have.

All in all, the new rig should be much lighter. I'm shooting for sub 20lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment