Monday, June 7, 2010

Obstacles...


Mountain biking is about breaking through obstacles both literally and figuratively. Today, I did both. I headed out for a little adventure at Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, MD. The trails are far easier than the stuff up at Gambrill, but they still throw a lot of challenges out to a rider of my modest talent.

My biggest goal as mostly a beginner rider this year was to start conquering obstacles like log piles. I don't need to be climbing logs that are multiple feet in diameter or dropping off mountain rock faces, but I'd like to be able to work through a moderately difficult trail without dismounting time and time again.

I've been running through my head how to approach the log piles, unloading the front end, shifting my weight etc. But just as I approach the obstacle in real time, I decide to hit the breaks, opting for the more conservative approach of living to see another day, not getting hurt, and continuing my ride unscathed.

Well, today was the day that I planned to say "enough is enough." And sure enough, I somehow summoned up the courage, after a few attempts of lining up my line and actually gearing up mentally to do the stunts to try some log piles and larger obstacles in the trail. And don't you know I cleared right over and through them. With each obstacle cleared, I gained more and more confidence and was able to take the next obstacle with surprising ease.

It was a huge day in terms of conquering obstacles and making progress in developing my skill level! I can't wait to hit the trails again to keep adding to the stuff I can do. With each new challenge conquered, a whole new level of obstacles opens up before me, like new levels on a video game.

I love this sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment