Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Two new members of the family...

Well, since my wife and I are expecting a new member of the family, a baby boy and hopefully future cyclist, it was time for another member of our family to go.  Since my mountain bike was getting in very little riding time (about 6 rides since the beginning of last season) I just couldn't stand to see such a nice bike go to waste any longer.  So, this past weekend I sold it.

However, (and this is the exciting part) I've decided to use the money on a new, more simplistic member of the family...drum roll please... Yesterday, I put in an order for a new 2012 Redline monocog 29er, a single speed, rigid fork workhorse.  The bike just made sense.  It is relatively inexpensive, it will still allow me to hit the single track when time allows, and it is a great bike to take my two sons in their bike trailer on trails like the C&O canal.  I tried hooking the trailer up to my cervelo, and I just couldn't bear the thought.  And pulling the trailer around on a scandium framed, fox fork wielding, top of the line rig, didn't make more sense.

Maybe the best part about the bike is that by happenstance the bike's paint scheme matches the new paint scheme on my road bike almost exactly.  Since ordering it, I did purchase some Avid bb5 disc brakes so I feel safe up in the steeps of Gambrill.  I'm also thinking about an all black wheelset to keep it fully stealth, but I'll probably wait on that.  I don't want to spend all of the bike money on this bike, otherwise the sale just doesn't make sense.  I'll have to see how much time I really have to get up into those mountains, which I think will be very little based upon the past year.

So, everyone join in a round of applause for the new family member!

No comments:

Post a Comment