Friday, July 19, 2013

The First Ride on my LTK023

Going into the ride yesterday, I didn't quite know what to expect from my bike.  I've heard great reviews and I've read some things from folks about the carbon just snapping on these bikes.  Either way, I wanted to ride all out.  Otherwise, why even have the bike.

I hit Schaeffer Farms trails in Gaithersburg, MD.  These have to be my favorite trails in the area. Fast, free flowing with just enough hard stuff to keep you interested.  In other words, they are just fun.  Not a lot of hike-a-bike action.  You can just turn on the ipod, hop on the bike and flow. And that I did.

The bike handled very well.  It was noticeably much lighter than my last bike (by 6 lbs).  I was flying up the hills with no problem.  I put the rigid carbon fork through its paces as well, landing hard off of large steps, up and over large roots and other obstructions and coming down from jumps at speed.  It exceeded my expectations.

The bike was easy to handle, a great climber and gave me a lot more range of speed through different sections due to its easy handling.  I adjusted my line on a moment's notice given the conditions mostly because I could.  I didn't have to commit to a line and a gear in advance because of the ability to easly and smoothly shift my gears, handle my bike and accelerate.  It was a joy.

The ride was hot.  The heat index was somewhere near 110 degrees, but I never felt better.  Even the chinese carbon water bottle cage, which I thought might just be for looks after I noticed how light it was, performed admirably.  My bottle didn't get tossed once.  The super light skewers that I've been using stayed in place as well, despite going over a lot of bumps, roots, steps and jumps.  I had my doubts about them as well.

All in all it was a great ride and a great day.  At least to this point I highly recommend this frame and fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment