Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How to convert 15mm Thru Axle to Standard 9mm quick release on Easton EA70 XC 29er Wheelset

So recently, as part of my ongoing build, I bought a set of Easton EA70 XC 29er Wheels.  I got them for a pretty nice price on Ebay.  The only catch, the front wheel was a Thru axle and I needed a quick release axle for my current set up.  No problem, I thought.  The seller included the conversion kit in the deal for me.  I figured, with a little help from the Easton Cycling website, I'd get the job done lickety split.

Well, I got the wheels along with the conversion kit and then turned to the Easton website for instructions.  The only problem was, as you will see, the instructions are not on point and are awful; especially if you are someone like me who needs to read very explicit instructions rather than just looking at visuals.

So, if you find yourself in the same predicament, I hope that this post helps.  Now, I didn't take actual photos as I was doing it, because, quite frankly, I had no confidence as to whether I was doing it right.  But it turned out that I did do it right, so I'll just add words to the pictures supplied on the Easton site for you.  Enjoy!


Step 1: Remove the Thru Axle
Easton Page: http://www.eastoncycling.com/bike/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/XC2-FRONT-HUB-BEARING-REMOVAL.swf

The Easton site has a picture of the axle simply being moved out of the hub.  What they don't tell you is how to get it out of there.  I used a rubber mallet and then a regular hammer and a 2x4 at first with no luck.  Ultimately, I just took a regular hammer and lightly tapped it out.  You'll want to do one side, until the bearing and bearing cap falls out, then with the axle still in place in the remaining bearing, lightly tap out the second bearing and bearing cap.  Voila!  You are ready to insert the new axle.


Step 2. Install the Non-Drive Side Axle
Easton Page: http://www.eastoncycling.com/bike/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/XC2-FRONT-HUB-BEARING-INSTALLATION.swf

Ok, this is where the Easton pictures really got me lost.  Basically, I learned from the pics that I was to use a QR skewer and that's all I got from the pics.  What I soon realized is that they want you to create a press.  What they want you to use, I still don't know.  Here's what I did.

I greased the axle, bearing and bearing cap.  I lined the bearing and bearing cap up with the axle hole in the hub.  I then used the end caps from the 15mm thru axle and turned them backwards so that they wouldn't actually insert and possibly get stuck in the hub and put my skewer through all of that closed off by the qr end cap on the other side.  So, the order would go, qr closure mechanism, 15mm thru axle cap backwards, bearing cap, bearing, hub, PLACE SKEWER THROUGH AXLE AND PLACE AXLE IN AXLE HOLE IN HUB, other end cap backwards, qr spring and qr end cap.

I then just turned the skewer to tighten it, using the whole thing like a press.  It pressed the bearing and bearing cap right in.  Be careful here.  You want to make sure that you are pressing straight and nothing gets lodged sideways in the hub.  You also want to make sure that the bearing is fully seated in the hub.  You can see the little ledge on the inside of the hub and you can tell whether the bearing is right up against it or if there is a gap just by looking in from the other side.

Step 3: Install Drive Side Axle
Easton Page: http://www.eastoncycling.com/bike/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/XC2-FRONT-HUB-BEARING-INSTALLATION.swf

Ok, with the non-drive side axle installed, the axle itself will still be loose.  Don't worry.  It will tighten up when you get the second bearing in.  Repeat what you did in the last step to put the drive side bearing and bearing cap in place.  You'll will find that after properly setting both bearing and caps that the axle is tight and  is perfectly positioned.

Step 4: Verify correct installation

At this point, if everything is good, the axle should spin freely.  Keep the skewer in the wheel and either spin it in your hands or place it in your fork and spin it.  Make sure there is no restriction and it is spinning freely.  If so, you are done!  If not it could be that the bearings are not seated properly. You will want to perform the procedures again.


1 comment:

  1. So... you're saying that's not enough change the end caps to convert this wheels? Can you link me where i could find the right conversion kit? Regards... omar.cocco79@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete