Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Window dressing


I've started working on a little project to add decals to my wheels on the new 29er. It all started when I saw a pair of Bontrager Race X Lite 29er wheels. I loved the look of the wheels but didn't want to put the money into a new wheelset. So, I came up with the idea of just buying the decals for the wheels. The only problem is that I couldn't find a replacement set anywhere.

So, I went to a guy I know who has made wheel decals for me in the past. He does a great job, but I simply didn't want to spend $60 for 8 wheel decals. That has brought me to my latest project. I'm going to make the decals myself. The brilliant part of it all is that I can make the decals for a fraction of the cost, I can make any kind of decals that I want, and I can make as many as I want.

As I began the project, it occurred to me, how am I going to make sure that the decals actually fit my wheels. The first thing that I did was I took a blank sheet of printer paper, held it up to my wheel and traced along the outline of the wheel. I then cut along that line. I then held up the piece of paper along the tire line and traced a line along the wheel just shy of the spoke nipples. I cut that line out. That gave me an initial template to work with.

I then traced along the edges of the template with a highlighter and scanned the template into my computer. If you don't highlight the edge of the template, the white paper will simply scan in on a white background and you won't be able to see the template at all.

With that done, I brought up the template file in my editing software. I use JASC Paint Shop Pro, but you can use other programs like Photoshop as well. I then scoured the internet for just the right font that I want to use and added that to my list of fonts on my computer. I then designed the decal, letter by letter, aligning them individually within the template.

That's where I am at this point. I have an initial decal made, but I have to design my other decals before I print.

I went to Office Depot yesterday and picked up a pack of self-lamintating sheets. I believe you get about 10 sheets for 8 bucks. I will be picking up clear sticker inkjet sheets from A.C. Moore today. I believe the package of 3 is about 8 bucks. You will want the self-laminating sheets to go over the sticker sheets because the ink may bleed from the stickers if they get wet. The laminate will add weatherproofing to the sticker so that they turn out to be similar to vinyl decals.

Once I get the sticker sheets and I design all of my decals, I will fit as many decals to one sticker sheet as possible, print, then laminate the sticker sheet, essentially weather proofing the decals. I will then apply the decals to my wheels.

I'll be sure to supply pictures of all of this when I complete the project. I'll be riding again today, as the weather is getting much better around here, so I may not have a chance to post the pics for a little while. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment